Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

effectiveness of flu vaccine varies by individual-imprinting

January 24, 2019 04:46PM
[www.statnews.com]

the first flu you ever had caused you to develop antibodies to THAT particular strain AND similar ones. When those strains come around again, your body fights them best.
One question the article asks is, when a person's first contact with the flu is a vaccine (with as many as four strains), will that person have an initial imprint for all four strains?

I'm not sure why they don't know the answer to that yet.

Why can't they take blood samples and determine what you have antibodies to/for?

Likewise, with the whole antibiotics issue--when deciding whether to prescribe antibiotics of not, why can't they take a blood sample (or other liquid, like phlegm) , look at it under a microscope, and determine if you are dealing with a virus or a bacterial infection?

I came across an article in a 1940's reader's digest about overuse of antibiotics-darn it, why haven't we learned to diagnose the nature of an infection and prescribe appropriately?

And where's the medicine for viruses?

I'm just thinking we should take the shortest route to solutions,in terms of prioritizing research
Subject Author Views Posted

effectiveness of flu vaccine varies by individual-imprinting

chimi 175 January 24, 2019 04:46PM

Re: effectiveness of flu vaccine varies by individual-imprinting

Jan DeCourtney, CMT 52 January 29, 2019 11:39PM

chimi 55 January 30, 2019 12:02PM

Jan DeCourtney, CMT 48 February 02, 2019 01:12PM

We're sorry, but you must register to post in this forum. This is the only way we can keep spammers out. You can remain totally anonymous, and we will keep your email address completely confidential.

Click here to login