Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

EGGS good? bad?

March 19, 2019 11:36AM
[www.mnn.com]

I've spent my whole life seeing conflicting advice about all kinds of health issues and eating (which is why I'm such a cynic about 'established science' and YES, it's a good thing that some fields keep questioning and learning).
I remember when we didn't know about health fats and unhealthy fats and my RN mom used very few nuts and olives because 'They're so high in fat" (while serving meat for breakfast, lunch and dinner). But we DID have peanut butter with sugar-- go fig!!

Anyway, when it comes to eggs, I read these articles and wonder about the definition of 'EGG'. William Campbell Douglass MD , decades ago, said the reason for the cholesterol effect in egg studies was because they used powdered eggs for uniformity and that the chemical change caused by the powdering process was what raised the cholesterol effect and that natural eggs don't do that. Was he right? I don't know, but, since a lot of studies backtracked on eggs raising cholesterol, he SEEMED to be.

But here we are again. An article shows picture of fried eggs (you see the intact yolk, you know they aren't powdered.

BUT what kind of eggs do self-reporting eaters EAT- do they even KNOW. With so many people eating out are these fresh eggs, powdered eggs, nuked eggs?? Most consumers can't tell you, because they eat them in cafeterias (public school and college ones, as well as commercial), fast food places, delis. If you are eating scrambled eggs, omelets, quiche, french toast, or matzo brie- who knows if they are powdered or fresh.

Years ago, I would order an plain egg egg mcmuffin at mcdonalds (english muffin impact-?-- is most of our egg eating surrounded by white bread?). It was fried and you could see the yolk. At some point I got one that had a weird consistency and realized it must've been nuked. It didn't feel right, so I never ordered one again.
I had a nuked scrambled egg on a bagel at a mall bagel shop in the 80's. Its consistency was unpleasant, so I never ordered an egg there again- just had bagels and cream cheese after that.

Like Feiffer said in a cartoon, "first,let us define your terms".

What IS an egg?

Can our science understand that one straight from the hen might be different than powdered or nuked?

A friend stayed at a kibbutz for most of a year. They served hard boiled eggs every morning- it's how they felt was easiest to feed a large group and labor was divided by everyone peeling their own.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2019 10:14AM by chimi.
Subject Author Views Posted

EGGS good? bad?

chimi 103 March 19, 2019 11:36AM

good discussion of egg research

chimi 23 March 20, 2019 11:23AM

Re: EGGS good? bad?

Jan DeCourtney, CMT 21 March 20, 2019 10:45PM

chimi 22 March 21, 2019 10:09AM

Jan DeCourtney, CMT 16 March 27, 2019 10:51PM

chimi 17 March 28, 2019 09:59AM

Jan DeCourtney, CMT 11 April 07, 2019 10:35AM

PhillyLady 15 April 08, 2019 11:14PM

chimi 16 April 09, 2019 09:32AM

PhillyLady 14 April 09, 2019 10:21PM

chimi 15 April 10, 2019 11:29AM

PhillyLady 11 April 10, 2019 06:36PM

Jan DeCourtney, CMT 5 April 13, 2019 10:31PM

We're sorry, but you must register to post in this forum. This is the only way we can keep spammers out. You can remain totally anonymous, and we will keep your email address completely confidential.

Click here to login