Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

conscious walking

January 01, 2012 11:21AM
I have a common cold. Not the one that goes all ballistic and requires antibiotics. At least not yet. But one that is having its way with my energy and attitude and has made me more sluggish than usual.

I like to maintain a certain amount of sluggishness anyway, purportedly for creative purposes, but this sluggishness is not voluntary. No, this sluggishness is enforced by a mind-numbing stuffed nose. Stuffed nose is humiliating. Stuffed nose wins the scourge of dignity award. I wonder if that is where the term came from when they call you a drip.

I am doing things I never thought I'd be doing in this life. Not the kinds of adventure I used to imagine, anyway. The slow and natural physical decline of aging has become my recreation director, and bodily repair and preventive maintenance are on my programmed activities schedule at this stage of the cruise. Not complaining. Just trying to characterize it with a little humor. After all, making fun of yourself opens the heart to the grace of acceptance - a most pleasurable surrender.

My latest new activity is walking, mainly to work out a long standing back pain. It started out as a trek to the undulating terrain of Lincoln Park a few blocks away. But at this point, I walk barefoot in the house, not because I have a cold, but because the walk has become about form and technique, best carried out barefoot, and the ground is too cold to go barefoot outside.

Turns out I have been moving with poor form since forever. I have had to go back to basic posture. Just figuring out how to stand right. Gravity has been having its way with me too, so my regimen is all about balance and its uses in movement.

The bodily stress you can release with efficient posture and movement is significant. It is life altering in a good way. 

Walking is a natural meditation too, so I walk from one end of the house and back daily and often, miles worth in fact, in total relaxed concentration on my gait, stride, footfall, sway, pace, and using the balance point of lean to create a controlled momentum.

You could say I practice awareness through movement. I take frequent awareness breaks to walk and to carry on my gyrational, designer bodywork. I might otherwise be sedentary.

The sciatica is gone, but, unfortunately, my program will not prevent a stuffed nose. If you doh whad I bean.
Subject Author Views Posted

conscious walking

Jim H. 1795 January 01, 2012 11:21AM

Re: conscious walking

Jan DeCourtney, CMT 818 January 01, 2012 11:31AM

VF 856 January 01, 2012 01:20PM

ron 813 January 01, 2012 03:48PM

Jan DeCourtney, CMT 776 January 01, 2012 06:12PM

VF 768 January 02, 2012 10:14AM

VF 933 January 02, 2012 10:22AM

Jan DeCourtney, CMT 783 January 02, 2012 10:24AM

VF 822 January 02, 2012 11:45AM

ron 836 January 01, 2012 02:53PM

Walking Meditation Article

Sapphire 816 January 02, 2012 02:58PM

Kyra 960 January 03, 2012 11:35PM

We're sorry, but you must register to post in this forum. This is the only way we can keep spammers out. You can remain totally anonymous, and we will keep your email address completely confidential.

Click here to login