Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: What do you keep in your herbal medicine cabinet?

January 14, 2012 07:37PM
Hi Jan, the cramp bark seems to work long term rather than having an immediate effect. The idea seems to be to keep the muscles slightly relaxed all the time so that bodywork holds for longer than it used to. I notice that if I now do a lot of gardening or housework I don't have the sore and tight muscles I would normally expect, especially not in my neck. If I forget it for a day then I feel a bit achy but still not as bad as it has been for years. That said I have tennis elbow at the moment following an afternoon raking leaves some weeks ago! It isn't addictive and doesn't work in the same way as prescription muscle relaxants but the herbalist hasn't explained exactly how it does work. He did say that cramp bark alone isn't enough and it needs something like ginger to aid the way it works. I've still been getting cramp recently in my shins but it disappears within minutes of taking some sea salt. Magnesium oil is also helpful for cramp.

Bruises definitely go quicker with arnica and I use a homeopathic lotion in the bath or else a homeopathic cream. The homeopathic tablets are also good to take prior to any surgery to help internal bruising. Another good thing to put in the bath is epsom salts after any long exercise.

My most recent daily herbal tincture, which I take three times a day before meals, is extremely bitter tasting, but I'm quite certain that whatever is in it and has been in the others I've taken for the last year, has helped me tremendously. I have energy again, have been able to stop taking hydrocortisone and am gradually reducing the thyroid hormones I take. The herbalist is very thorough in his questions and examinations, has his own pharmacy where he makes up the medicines and he also grows some of the herbs and collects others from the wild as well as buying some in. His knowledge is amazing and I know I couldn't possibly have unravelled everything that was wrong by myself.
Subject Author Views Posted

What do you keep in your herbal medicine cabinet?

Jan DeCourtney, CMT 505 January 01, 2012 11:49AM

VF 183 January 01, 2012 12:22PM

Jan DeCourtney, CMT 199 January 01, 2012 06:21PM

Helena 221 January 01, 2012 01:56PM

Jan DeCourtney, CMT 198 January 02, 2012 10:30AM

Jan DeCourtney, CMT 185 January 14, 2012 10:53AM

Helena 195 January 14, 2012 07:37PM

VF 197 January 01, 2012 08:00PM

Jan DeCourtney, CMT 200 January 02, 2012 10:29AM

linda 206 January 15, 2012 08:04PM

Jan DeCourtney, CMT 204 January 16, 2012 01:06PM

We're sorry, but you must register to post in this forum. This is the only way we can keep spammers out. You can remain totally anonymous, and we will keep your email address completely confidential.

Click here to login