Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

let's stop using the F word (and some others as well)

June 14, 2019 05:47PM
[news.google.com]

cop cursing at man, pregnant woman, and in front of two tiny kids. Over a 99 cent doll the 4 year old carried out of the store. the old way of handling this was, when the parent noticed an unpaid for item (maybe after they got home), they hauled the kid back to the store , made the kid apologize and return the item. These parents never got the chance.

Also, of course, I'm pretty sure the cops have more important crimes to solve. Maybe get dangerous people off the street (but no reason to curse at them either).

And, as someone who has worked a cash register, the usually formula is to say to the parent, "Excuse me, I didn't notice the doll-I need to ring that up for you."
Whereupon the parent either graciously pays for it, saying, that's ok (since I implied it was my fault) , or corrects the child (if the parent didn't notice) and hands the doll to the cashier to restock. No fuss.

First year of college, I picked up some curse words-used them a while-one of those growing up things. But, ultimately, both intellect and self-confidence won out-no longer a need to 'prove' I was an adult. Serenity also increased in my life.
And serenity doesn't really work with cursing.

Cursing is not good for anyone. Including the person doing it. It just makes people angrier, raises everybody's blood pressure, and contributes to a world view that is negative. It also interferes with people looking for language and logic to engage in discourse.

Let us start with EVERY authority figure dropping curse words- SET AN EXAMPLE, PEOPLE!
Police departments- I know you have a LOT of good people working for you-ask them to set an example for the shakier employees, so they can find out how to do the job right, too.

Teachers- not even PG curse words-SET AN EXAMPLE-teach kids to fit in anywhere-just like you would at the superintendent's dinner table (if you were invited).

The rest of us- let's take a deep breath and show calmness to people who might not get enough of it in their lives.

One book title is ANGER KILLS- anger is physiologically harmful to both the angry person and their listeners and victims. Often psychologically harmful as well.

I understand an authority figure might need to be intimidating at times. "Hands up NOW" with the NOW several decibels higher might work.
Perhaps the academy could teach how to project authority without anger.
Subject Author Views Posted

let's stop using the F word (and some others as well)

chimi 87 June 14, 2019 05:47PM

Re: let's stop using the F word (and some others as well)

PhillyLady 29 June 17, 2019 10:15PM

chimi 30 June 18, 2019 10:23AM

PhillyLady 28 June 18, 2019 10:45PM

chimi 31 June 19, 2019 11:13AM

We're sorry, but you must register to post in this forum. This is the only way we can keep spammers out. You can remain totally anonymous, and we will keep your email address completely confidential.

Click here to login