Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: but foster placement?

August 05, 2019 09:47AM
A decade or more ago, Time magazinbe had an article about jobs veterans were doing. One was teaching school in philadelphia. They pictured him with a bunch of his students. I was surprised by the physical maturity of the students. I showed the pic to my own teens and asked how old the kids in the pic were. Their answers ranged from 17 to 24. It was a JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL class!! There was exactly ONE boy who looked young enough to have been in MY junior high school classes. The rest looked VERY ADULT.

This would be PART of the problem. When you have puberty happening as young as 7 or 8 ( a small racial difference) the kids become bigger earlier. Then, with the whole obesity thing, you have mature people who might weigh 200-300 pounds.

When I went to school, overweight was size 14, not the kind of dimensions like today. Puberty was 5-8 years later.

ALSO, it was more usual for women to be teaching lower grades and MEN to be teaching high school.More men and smaller students probably kept teenagers better behaved. The two parent home might've contributed, because many kids came home to adult influence-talking over their problems with a parent (or older sibling in the larger family days) -today, they talk to peers (or strangers on the internet) and may not get as careful advice.

Two vegan MDs, Calvin and Agatha Thrash (adventists) spoke of studies in which many modern diseases became more orevalent earlier and the puberty age in Alaska dropped from age 19 to age 13 over the course of 15 years, when the alaska highway opened and more junk food got to alaska.

They attributed these things to the change in proportion of carbs in the diet (MORE carba, less fat and protein).

Since the 60's, gov't advice has been to cut fat , eat less fish, eat less eggs. The school lunch programs , of course, incorporate gov't nutrition advice, so kids get 10 meals a week of bad food (and may well eat more of the same at home).

The Doctors Thrash were vegan, so they said TOO MUCH CARB, instead of considering that it might be TOO LITTLE FISH AND EGGS. but those two things are two sides of the same equation. If you eat less fat and protein, all that's left is carbs, so you'll eat more of those.

I've read that some school food programs limit protein to 1 ounce for young grades, 2 ounces to older grades.

I grew up eating 2 eggs and a HUGE amount of bacon for breakfast every morning. Dinner was loads more meat (when I went off meat as a teen, I started eating eggs for dinner, too.

I haven't seen it written anywhere, but it seems to me that earlier puberty would mean earlier menopause and, maybe, earlier death?

Dr Stoll once mentioned that 25% of modern women were entering menopause in their 20's!!

If our lifecycles are being sped up, our traditional definition of school might not be the best place to keep people for longer years.
Subject Author Views Posted

more stress on poor people and rejection of help

chimi 70 July 24, 2019 12:49PM

and MORE offers of help= NPR

chimi 20 July 24, 2019 12:50PM

Re: more stress on poor people and rejection of help

PhillyLady 22 July 24, 2019 08:08PM

chimi 20 July 25, 2019 11:14AM

Sounder 19 July 25, 2019 08:22PM

chimi 20 July 26, 2019 11:38AM

Sounder 17 July 31, 2019 01:20AM

but foster placement?

chimi 19 July 31, 2019 11:02AM

Sounder 16 August 04, 2019 07:40PM

chimi 18 August 05, 2019 09:47AM

We're sorry, but you must register to post in this forum. This is the only way we can keep spammers out. You can remain totally anonymous, and we will keep your email address completely confidential.

Click here to login