How Does the Body Absorb Nutrients?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ FAQ ]
[ ASK DR STOLL BB ] [ Glossary/Index ]
[ Symptoms and Diseases Quick Reference Guide ]
[ DR STOLL'S BOOK ] [ NEW BOARD ]
   Search this site!

Posted by jennyS [80.56] on December 03, 2011 at 12:04:54:

Where in the body does our food turn to nutrition? I don't get it. When I chomp on an ear of corn at 7pm and see it come out the other end 10 or 12 hours later, I just don't see how the body has had any time to pull nutrition from it. The sun beating down on my skin, I can understand getting Vitamin D from that process.... I guess I can see how water would be absorbed and is beneficial...but I've seen cranberries go in one end and out the other in record time... I just don't understand how our bodies absorb antioxidants and carcinogens etc. Where does it happen, the intestines? If so I would think that if you eat a small healthy meal the instestine would have time to sit and suck out the vitamins maybe, but if you head to the salad buffet and top it off with a frozen yogurt and a couple of glasses of water, aren't the intestines just overloaded? SMall intestine says to large intestine: "INCOMING BARRAGE, LETS GET THIS STUFF THROUGH AND OUT THE SHOOT PRONTO, MORE COMING DOWN THE HATCH! NO TIME TO WASTE"

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

NOTICE: you are making a public post! Anyone with internet access can read it! If you wish to remain anonymous, please do not enter your full correct name in the "Name" field below, and do not enter your email address.

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional Link URL:  
Link Title:         
Optional Image URL: 

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ ASK DR STOLL BB ]
[ FAQ ] [ Glossary/Index ] [ DR STOLL'S BOOK ]
[ NEW BOARD ]