Bunion for Chiron Dave

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ FAQ ]
[ ASK DR STOLL BB ] [ Glossary/Index ]
[ Symptoms and Diseases Quick Reference Guide ]
[ DR STOLL'S BOOK ] [ NEW BOARD ]
   Search this site!

Posted by Jan DeCourtney, CMT [17426.10003] on December 05, 2011 at 22:28:06:

Hi Dave,

I continue to try to get my body aligned correctly. After my last rolfing session, the rolfer told me to stop using the orthotics because they were causing my back to hurt on the left side. So, I did. My back stopped hurting.

My left knee keeps hurting intermittently -- it gets stiff. Okay, I can keep trying to work with that. I've neglected doing the stretch Dr. Finegan taught me.

The new problem is my right foot. It seems to be in the beginning stage of a bunion. It hurts, not just the medial side, but the entire first metatarsal area from mid-foot to toe. To me it seems that the foot is not behaving correctly when I walk. This is a description I read that sounds like it applies: "In essence, instead of the weight of their body being distributed through the arch of the foot, the weight is placed on the joint of the big toe. That bunion is a bony arthrosis. Bone is deposited in the area of stress."

Also: "Tight calf muscles can prevent you from flexing your ankle. This can cause you to turn the toe out as you steps down, which puts more pressure onto the big toe instead of all the toes equally, says Kevin Colling, DC in his article, "How to Prevent Bunions." "

I think something in my alignment is off causing the problem. My right foot (leg) continues to often rotate laterally and I think that puts extra pressure on the inside of the foot when I walk.

Doc Finegan basically told me there was nothing he could do about it. Not the leg rotation, nor the bones in the foot. He said don't wear shoes whenever possible and try to strengthen the arch by doing exercises. I don't think that's going to solve the problem. Do you have any thoughts or ideas for me?

Thanks,
Jan

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

NOTICE: you are making a public post! Anyone with internet access can read it! If you wish to remain anonymous, please do not enter your full correct name in the "Name" field below, and do not enter your email address.

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional Link URL:  
Link Title:         
Optional Image URL: 

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ ASK DR STOLL BB ]
[ FAQ ] [ Glossary/Index ] [ DR STOLL'S BOOK ]
[ NEW BOARD ]