Re: new board

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ FAQ ]
[ ASK DR STOLL BB ] [ Glossary/Index ]
[ Symptoms and Diseases Quick Reference Guide ]
[ DR STOLL'S BOOK ] [ NEW BOARD ]
   Search this site!

Posted by Bill [8783.9941] on December 08, 2011 at 20:08:22:

In Reply to: Re: new board posted by Jon Carlson [1263.7520] on December 08, 2011 at 19:46:15:

Jon, the old board is successful, but is too expensive (in terms of my time) to run. I spend 30 mins or more every day maintaining it with text editors and customized scripts I've written over more than fifteen years the board has been up, and am just about burned out.

Modern boards are practically 100% self-maintaining.

The new phpBB board is not so bad. It is less simple, agreed. But it is not paralyzingly complex either. It is different, better in many ways for both users and admins. Users can request that they get an email when someone responds to one of their posts. Users can send private messages to other users without revealing their email addresses. We can give users varying levels of privileges, including the ability to delete and edit posts, and to ban people (temporarily or permanently) with a few mouse clicks.

Learning how to use it is much much simpler than taking on the lifestyle changes the site espouses.

If you choose not to participate, you may still want to take the time to register on the new board. That way we will have your email address for mass emails we might send in the future to announce major changes or events.

Bill

Go to First Post in this Thread

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

NOTICE: you are making a public post! Anyone with internet access can read it! If you wish to remain anonymous, please do not enter your full correct name in the "Name" field below, and do not enter your email address.

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional Link URL:  
Link Title:         
Optional Image URL: 

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ ASK DR STOLL BB ]
[ FAQ ] [ Glossary/Index ] [ DR STOLL'S BOOK ]
[ NEW BOARD ]