Re: Happy Holidays

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ FAQ ]
[ ASK DR STOLL BB ] [ Glossary/Index ]
[ Symptoms and Diseases Quick Reference Guide ]
[ DR STOLL'S BOOK ] [ NEW BOARD ]
   Search this site!

Posted by samm [1003.7683] on December 09, 2011 at 23:04:23:

In Reply to: Re: Happy Holidays posted by Helena [11599.10002] on December 09, 2011 at 20:27:24:

I haven't seen hot cross buns for years- back east they were sold throughout lent. I haven't heard of a separate 'mothering sunday' . we have father's day and mother's day-cards and flowers, but not a whole sale section. The restaurants have special buffets for taking mom out to dinner on mother's day.

One friend brought me this strange home baked loaf of bread his mom made for Easter. It looked like a challah (braided Jewish bread with egg making the dough yellow), but, set in the top of the loaf were several dyed Easter eggs, baked into the top of the bread. Since Easter falls in the middle of passover, a oaf of leavened bread wasn't a great gift.

St Patrick's Day- stores have sales on corned beef and cabbage, bars sell green beer, McDonald's has green 'shamrock shakes' They are just dyed vanilla shakes, but I worked at McDonald's one year when I was in college and the customers insisted the green shakes were mint flavoured (they weren't). There are St Patrick's day t-shirts sold for $5 each at Wal-mart (big department store, national). I buy a bunch for my whole family while they are in stock.
Oh-Memorial Day, about May 31st- floral wreaths and buquets, plastic and silk, are sold for placing on graves.

Go to First Post in this Thread

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

NOTICE: you are making a public post! Anyone with internet access can read it! If you wish to remain anonymous, please do not enter your full correct name in the "Name" field below, and do not enter your email address.

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional Link URL:  
Link Title:         
Optional Image URL: 

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ ASK DR STOLL BB ]
[ FAQ ] [ Glossary/Index ] [ DR STOLL'S BOOK ]
[ NEW BOARD ]